Friday, June 22, 2012

Words from the Class of 2012

Toyin Egharevba moved to the US when she was 12 years old.  Since then, she has become an academic powerhouse who excels in all subjects, particularly math and science.  In her senior year at City on a Hill, she volunteered over 100 hours of her time to the YMCA Family in Transition Program.  This fall, Toyin will attend Wellesley College where she plans to major in Biology.  Below is her 2012 Valedictorian speech:

Good evening, family and friends, faculty and staff, members of the Board of Trustees, members of the graduating class of 2012, and of course the JFK advisory.

I can clearly remember the first day of our Freshman Academy.  Some of us felt awkward, shy, scared, and confused.  Even after asking for directions, we still went to the wrong classrooms.

Wow...it seem like we only started yesterday.

And as I stand here before you, I am overwhelmed with many memories that I know that you all hold as well.  I remember the long lunch line outside the trailer, the morning hand shakes, and that time when Ivan was locked out on the balcony during the D.C trip.  Who will ever forget the countless days we spent at Saturday schools and SAT preps, those late nights finishing projects, and of course, Field Day.

One thing I’ll never forget about the class of 2012 is our perseverance. I’ll share a little story with you all.  Freshman year, the class of 2012 was taken on a field trip to New Hampshire.  It was a rainy day, but luckily for us, the rain did not disturb the activities.  We were sheltered by the huge trees that surrounded us.  Each advisory was led off to complete different activities.  My advisory did tightrope walking.  Basically, It was several tightropes tied between trees.  These ropes were so tight that even an elephant could stand on it and it wouldn’t tremble.

So, students gathered around in pairs as we waited to be harnessed in and hoisted 20 feet into the air to walk the rope.  Our main objective was to walk from one end to the other.  I remember while walking, I slipped off the rope.  As I was dangling from the harness, the supervisor gave me two options:  the first was to securely let me down, and the second was for me to climb back up the rope.  Mind you, we were surrounded by massive trees and if I swung too far I would end up like George of the jungle and it surely will be too late to be watching out for the trees.  So, I weighed both options but I chose the latter which was to re-climb the tightrope.  On my first attempt, I swung a little too far.  On my other attempts, my advisory at the time, the Shirley Chisholm advisory, began to cheer me on saying, “Yes! You can do it.  Come on, you almost had it”.  Even with their encouragement, I felt like telling the supervisor to let me down.  I didn’t because I realized that giving up wasn’t the best option and I also didn’t want to let my advisory down.  So, I was determined to climb back on.  After several attempts, I was finally able to get back on the tightrope.  I walked gently, aiming for the finish line.  Yes, I made it to the finish line.  I was extremely happy and proud of what I’d accomplished.

I’m telling you this story because it reminds me of us, the class of 2012.

A hundred plus of us started this adventure freshman year, but only a few of us have remained.  There were times in our high school careers when we fell off that rope; others gave up, but we didn’t.  Just like when I fell off that rope, I was engulfed with fear.  All that was going through my mind was “give up, give up, give up, just give up.”  But I didn’t.  And neither did you.

Even when your mind told you that dropping out or transferring out was the easiest way, when people told you that you wouldn’t make it, when the circumstance seemed impossible and when you tried to convince yourself that it will all go away when you quit, you didn’t listen.  You persevered and kept on going.  Through hard work, determination, and the support of others, we made it to the finish line of our high school careers.

As we head to our various universities and colleges, remember that we are not alone.

Class of 2012, look around you.  We’re here today because these people believed in us, encouraged us, and kept on cheering for us.  Sometimes it may seem that you’re alone, but always remember that there are many who believe in you and that is why they are here to congratulate you on this day.

In life, many will start a race with you, not all of them will finish with you.  During that race, there will be tons of trials and tribulations.  There will even be times when you feel like giving up.  But don’t give up.  Persevere!!

Look back on this day.  Look at the joy you’ve brought to the people around you.  And remember, with perseverance we can finish the race ahead of us.

Thank you.



As co-captain of her cheer squad, Antoniqua Roberson takes her leadership roles very seriously.  She's modeled academic excellence and worked to develop cheer study halls to ensure the academic eligibility of her team.  She will be attending Occidental College in the fall.  Below is her speech as the 2012 Salutatorian:

Good evening, family and friends, faculty and staff, members of the Board of Trustees, members of the graduating class of 2012, and lastly, my advisory, the Frederick Douglass Advisory.

Growing up, I always knew that I was going to go to college.  I didn’t always know where I wanted to go, or what I wanted to be for that matter, but I was certain that I was going to go and that I would be the first in my family to do so.

As a small child, my great-grandmother would often sing a gospel hymn called “This Little Light of Mine,” where the words went ‘This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.  Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.’

I could remember being so small, and sitting on her lap while gazing into her big, brown eyes as she sang the song to me.  It was something about the words the captured my attention and made me feel as if I had a “little light” within me.  The lyrics were very inspirational, and I soon found myself singing the sweet song while alone at home.

Through all the obstacles and struggles I have faced in life, it was my belief in my light that kept me going.  Many of us have had difficulties in our lives, where we wanted to give up.  When family tried to push you to keep going, you sometimes resisted and had to learn from your own mistakes.  These mistakes helped you learn the importance of advice from those older and wiser than you, though you often did not want to admit it.

As a young student, I could remember my family telling me that education was important, and that if I wanted to go far in life I had to take my studies seriously and apply myself to all of my classes.  The passion, the drive, the importance I felt when I stepped into a classroom were instilled in me through the values and beliefs my great-grandmother and family had taught me at such a young age.  I focused my light on my education knowing it would only shine if I applied the skills I learned in class to dilemmas I faced in the forum of my community.

As many of us, I do not think that I would have come this far if it were not for my family.  Like a tree, I am planted into success, where the roots of this tree are my family.  Each branch that extends from the base of my tree represents an opportunity or privilege that is offered to me.  Just as this tree could not have grown without its roots first, I too could not have reached my highest success without my family.

When I look back on my memories shared with my great-grandmother, I know why she sang that beautiful hymn to me.  It was her way of bringing forth the drive I have in me now.  She knew that my light would some day shine, and that even when dark times entered my life, I was guided and protected by my own light.

This theme has persisted throughout my life, and as I reflect on my high school education, I think about how City on a Hill has helped us all find our lights and let them shine.  It’s the way our teachers believed in us and how our classmates pushed us when schoolwork became difficult; we are a family.

When referencing City on a Hill, most people think of the famous line, “We shall be as a City upon a Hill…the eyes of all people are upon us.”  However, the verse that I think of is a lesser-known passage from the bible, which truly connects with the idea of a shining light within each of us:

“You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 5:14-16).

Now that my great-grandmother has passed on, the song that she sang to me is even more powerful and inspirational to me.  My great-grandmother saw a light within me when I was too young to see it in myself, and she saw it as I grew when I was too blind to let it shine; I know she would be proud of my accomplishments, and I also know as I continue to persevere and work around my obstacles, rather than being defeated by them, I will achieve my own success as I reach my highest potential.

College is where our light is shining next and beckoning us forward, and with love and support we receive from our families and classmates, we too will let this “little light” shine.

Thank you.



Danny Hernandez was selected as the Citizen Scholar of 2012 for the way he exemplifies the "citizenship" pillar of City on a  Hill's mission.  Danny studies Muay Thai, an intense combat sport similar to kick-boxing.  While not focusing on the rigorous training, Danny also volunteers with Tenacity, an after school program that teaches low income students how to play tennis.  He will be attending UMass Boston in the fall.  Below is his 2012 graduation speech:

Hello family, friends, staff, members of the board of trustees, and of course the graduating class of 2012.  My name is Danny Hernandez, City on a Hill class of 2012 and Umass Boston Class of 2016, and I am honored and surprised that I was selected to be the citizen scholar of 2012.

When Ms. Alves came into my chemistry class and told me to come to the front office, my heart dropped like a roller coaster, my palms began to get clammy and every step I took shot a tingling feeling up my spine.  I was terrified, and when I saw the stern look on Ms. Brown’s face, I knew I was in for it.  I felt like I had been sent to the icy fortress of the ninth layer of hell; I was racking my brain thinking of every possible thing I could have done to get sent down there.  To my surprise, I was told that I had been selected by the senior committee as the student who best represents citizenship and scholarship in the class of 2012.

Now don’t be mistaken – being chosen does not automatically make me the best-behaved student, and I’m clearly not the valedictorian.  To be honest I did not really know why I was selected, but when I started thinking about my values, and the values of City on a Hill, it made sense.  Leadership, respect and the importance of education are three qualities that I believe I bring to the role of citizen scholar, but I can’t take all the credit.

Leadership lies in all of us.  I learned how to be a leader with out even realizing it.  One of my oldest friends and biggest role models, Juan Malave, set me on my path.  One day as we went on one of our long drives, he asked about my life at school, at home, and my plans for the future.  After I would ramble on for several minutes he stopped me and said these words that I will follow for the rest of my life, “ Do you, bro.   Don’t feel the need to follow an established path; make your own way and follow your morals and dreams.  You’re a good kid, and I‘m proud of you”.  Those words stuck in my head, and have been my motivation to make my own path and follow it.  It was those words that got me to this moment today, and I know they will bring me far in life.

This brings me to respect, and our families are the leading factors in how we learn about respect.  During summer vacations, as I was growing up, I would go to my grandmother’s house while my mom went to work.  My Uncle Victor and Grandmother would watch over me and my younger sister, and man I remember doing a lot of things as a young kid that got me scolded.  My uncle would constantly get on my case about me being disrespectful, and my grandmother would explain to me why my behavior was wrong, and my uncle would watch me like a hawk until he was sure my behavior changed.  It drove me nuts at the time, but now I know I owe a lot to them, and the rest of my family for teaching me how to act, and to respect others no matter who they are.

When it comes to the importance of education, I have to credit my teachers for instilling that value in me.  They push us to always do well, and to try our hardest.  So many teachers I have had drove me to see the importance of education.  I never used to think of myself as an intellectual, but when my tutor last year commented on my expansive knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, I started to see myself differently in class, and tapped into my potential.  I want to thank every last one my teachers for playing a role in helping me discover my ability and pushing me to get this far.  All of you have taught me many valuable lessons and shared with me important experiences that I will take far in my life.

Class of 2012, I am not the only student here who demonstrates leadership, shows respect, and cares about his education.  We all have these attributes as a class together, because we all have role models and mentors who have shown us what leadership is, family that teaches us important lessons in life, and teachers that have shown us how important it is for us to take education seriously.  As we are all here today, it is clear that we as a class took all of these seriously and used these attributes to help us make it through these very challenging four years.  We all embody citizenship, and we have made the City on a Hill mission of graduating responsible citizens possible for our class. 

Thank you friends, family, faculty and staff, and especially the graduating class of 2012.  It has been fun, and I hope we all see each other in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment